Natural Gas Safety

Natural Gas Safety.

If you are planning home renovations, be sure that any digging will not damage the natural gas lines serving your home. For your safety you should always have your appliances regularly serviced and know the common warning signs of problems e.g. your pilot light is out and will not stay on, appliance burner is slow to light or you have a yellow flame instead of blue.

– Do not store gasoline-powered equipment or LPG cylinders near gas appliances.

– Do not use combustible products such as gasoline, solvents, paint, glues or cleaning rags near gas appliances.

– If your pilot light goes out, a noticeable odor will alert you that gas is escaping from the pilot. If you smell gas, ventilate the area. Do not smoke! Relight the pilot only if you have manufacturer’s instructions and clearly understand them. Otherwise call a qualified repairman or the NPC.

– If it is necessary for you to turn the gas off at the meter, do not attempt to turn the gas back on. Call NPC .

– Homeowners, remember to contact us early in your planning so that the necessary advice can be given to facilitate the smooth and timely installation of your gas service.

Natural Gas Facts
Natural gas is a colourless, odourless fuel that burns cleaner than many other traditional fossil fuels. It is one of the most popular forms of energy today. It is used for heating, cooling, the production of electricity and many uses in industry.

Natural gas is produced by drilling into the earth’s crust where pockets of natural gas were trapped hundreds of thousands of years ago. Once the gas is brought to the surface, it is refined to remove impurities, like water, other gasses and sand. It is then transmitted through large pipelines in various parts of the island.

Natural gas is lighter than air, non-toxic and contains no poisonous ingredients. Breathing natural gas is not harmful as long as there is an adequate supply of air to breathe along with it. Natural gas by its self will not burn. Combustion can occur when there is a mixture of gas and air containing between 5 percent and 15 percent natural gas and 95 to 85 percent air.

Natural gas in its natural state is odourless. An odour that smells like rotten eggs is added to natural gas so that you can smell it. Because of its unique qualities of being lighter than air with a narrow band of combustion, natural gas is the safest energy source available.

Safety Procedure
If you smell a faint odour of natural gas inside your home or business

Investigate immediately

  • Call our 24-hour emergency service at (246) 430-4000 If a strong or persistent odour of gas is present in your home or if you hear a hissing sound of escaping natural gas

  • Get everyone out of the building immediately

  • DO NOT operate any electrical switches, appliance controls or pull any plugs from outlet

  • DO NOT light any matches

  • DO NOT use the telephone in the building – use a neighbour’s phone outside of the building to call the National Petroleum Corporation at 430-4000

  • If possible, ventilate the building by opening doors and windows

  • Leave the door open

General Guidelines
Ensure that your appliances are correctly installed and the rooms that contain these appliances are properly ventilated. Check the manufacturer’s information or owner’s manual to determine whether or not your appliances can be converted.
Only qualified personnel should convert your appliances.